Monday, January 28, 2008

Yes We Can

I am reading this book called The Bunion Derby about a cross country race in 1928 .The race started out with 199 men, and now, 33 days into the race they enter the Texas panhandle and all the black competitors are besieged by the Jim Crow Texans. It makes me think how Americans maybe be basically racist to our very roots and our attack on Iraq is just another example. The slaughter of the Native Americans, the saga of Jim Crow etc. Now, seeing Barak Obama gaining such popular support is so exciting, but very scary for Democrats. Will the majority of Americans vote for an African American for President, or will the inherent racist tendenicies dominate their decision, when they go behind the curtain to vote? While Obama excites everyone I know, it seems Hillary has the opposite effect. Trusted rationale people whose opinions I value and whose judgment I have never questioned rank their choices for president as Obama, then McCain, then Romney. Billary is divisive, but I would vote for her before any of the GOP's candidates. All of the Republicans are old white men. How refreshing is the roster of the dems. John Edwards is the only of the traditional mold in contention. Yes We Can! how exciting, how invigorating, how scary. Hearing Barak's victory speech after he won in South Carolina was exciting! Hearing Carolyn Kennedy equate Barak to her father and saying he is the JFK of her children's generation was astounding! Now with Ted Kennedy's endorsement, the old guard of the Democratic party seem to be aligning themselves with Barak. Is it possible that we can see a new day in America? Is it possible that we can have a president for all Americans? can we build it? yes we can! oh, I just realized that Barak is borrowing his catch phrase from Bob The Builder- another old white guy.

just a note on the bike commute. today its going to be 50 yet I did not ride. After my flat tire I realized I have 3300 miles on my tires and they are noticably worn thin, the sidewalls appear a bit cracked, time for new rubber. I would hate to have a second flat as I hurry to or from work. no problem with the old tire on the trainer, but I fear its road worthiness. I have been pondering tires, tire sizes, tread designs etc. I considered buying 32s with some tread for the inclement weather then going back to some road worthy 28s for riding season. Or perhaps I should just get some new road tires? I definitely need some new tires though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, long time, no see. do you have any interest in coming out to join us for a group run again. It's been awhile and I think people would like to catch up again. Drop a line on the ChiADead list. Thanks and hope you consider (and bring your friend).

Thanks,
Brian

virtualbuck said...

hi Brian

thanks for the encouragement to resub to ChiA-Deads. How can I refuse!

buck