Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Jurus Prudence and frozen cajones

Baby its cold out there! -5 this morning with -20 wind chills. No doubt about it, waiting for the EL is the coldest experience available. My last bike ride to work, last Monday, was cold but OK, however, my return ride was not. Immediately I had a flat tire. It was snowing, the wind was howling. I thought about fixing the flat-- I was right in front of the med center, but knowing I had to pick up Ryder ASAP, I did the cowardly thing, returned my bike to my office, locked it up, emptied out my panniers, and rode the EL to Oak Park in my bike clothes. By the time I made it to the Oak Park Avenue El stop it had snowed 2 inches. Bummer! that would have been a great adventure ride. Since then its been snowing and/or bitterly cold (subzero plus the wind). I have resumed my EL riding career, striding vigorously up and down the platform to keep warm and keep my heart beating. I see so many folks standing still huddled in the cold. Moving around generates heat, why stand? And it amazes to see, in this weather, so many idiots with out hats! I guess they get what they deserve-- frostbite. DOH!

Last week I had the pleasure (really) of serving on a jury. I have been summonsed 4 or 5 times, but never picked to serve before. While some of the candidate jurors purposefully made statements to get themselves excluded, much to the scorn of us honest folks, I just went with the flow and sure enough, got picked. A criminal case. High theater.

It was quite interesting indeed, and I gave into it, accepting my role as juror, being pleased not to be in charge or having to run the meeting. DUI. Guy changed seats with his girlfriend after the accident so it would look like he was not driving. eyewitness saw him behind the wheel and pushing down the deployed airbag,but not actually in the collision. it was circumstantial. But the state's attorney gave a compelling argument about the validity of circumstantial evidence, the smoking gun, snow on the ground though you didn't actually see it snowing, you know it did. Jury was 7-5 to convict after the first round. 2 hours of discussion and it was 11-1. It was pleasant, and #12 acquiesced. The defense witness, the woman, was hardly credible, had the story wrong, would not admit they were lovers, just friends but admitted when they were out drinking they were buying lingerie! The defense attorney said of course she acted that way, she was embarrassed, just friends with privileges-- clever, persuasive. But the state's attorneys were better actors and more convincing. After it was over they came into the jury room and talked with us. it was a lot of fun, all and all. The defendant had three prior DUI's but that was not admissible as evidence. The female attorney said that when the defense witness said she was buying underwear, she thought "my goodness, this is going better than I'd hoped" we all felt pretty good knowing we did the right thing and were out of there at 3 PM. Glad it only lasted 2 days.

No comments: