Friday, January 4, 2008

A new day, another year

I expected the gym to be filled with "resolutionists" today, but instead, it was nearly empty, only the same old bodies I usually see there were busy with their workouts. There was a big crew working on all the machines, taking them apart for maintanence, still leaving enough avaialble to get a bit of a workout in. My new favorite, the adaptive motion trainer was in pieces, so I tread on the old mill for a meager 20 minutes and 1.6 miles. Bravely, I stepped on the scale-- I feared the worst after a week or more of indulgent eating, but was pleased to see I am right at 206, still down ~25 pounds from where I was at this time last year. Which brings me to New Year's Resolution #1: under 200 pounds and under 20% body fat (I am at about 24% now). I've lost 3 inches around my middle and I've lost 5% body fat, but still feel and look fat. I know the way now to achieve this goal. P-diet and exercise. DOH!

I braved the weather and rode in today. It was a balmy 24 degrees and mostly dry. I was excited to try out my new winter biking garb I received for Christmas, and I was indeed warm and dry-- until I encountered a snow bank I had to traverse, then my toes got cold and my cleats got packed with ice and would not engage my peddles. The bike path around the park was spotty, but navigable. All and all it was just fine riding. The brisk south west wind brings us this warm up so I guess I can't complain about how slow it made the ride.

It is an exciting time in world history. Last week Benizer Bhutto was assassinated in Pakistan and the next day Kenya burst into flames-- reminiscent of Rwanda. The dollar continues its slide against other world currencies, sinking to the level of the Indian Rupee now. And how the world feels about Americans is at an all time low. Troubled times. Exciting times too. Last night Barak Obama won the Iowa primaries, besting both Edwards and Clinton. There were more voters in the caucuses than ever before, young Democrats. The electorate is excited and ready for CHANGE. I really like both Edwards and Hillary, indeed, but neither represent a new day in America. Barak, you da man, you are the one who will excite the youth vote. This time next year we will be looking forward to throwing the pigs out and making way for the new Obama presidency. Glory be.

Which somehow reminds me of my 2nd resolution. To be on time. I read a Tribune columnists reflections on turning 50 and one thing he observed was that promptness is a form of respect. My father oft repeated that if you aren't early, you are late. And of course Karen understands that I am late because I hate to wait and would rather make other people do the waiting for me. Which adds up to disrespect. Not malicious. Just habituation. I can change, sure I can. so, that is #2, be on time. There you have it. I have joined the resolutionists, but I did beat them into the gym.

2 comments:

none said...

Three possibilities:

1. You didn't see my prior comments.

2. The AMT is currently "in pieces".

3. You don't intend to respond to my comments.

virtualbuck said...

Hi Jerry

sorry I did not respond to your previous comments. The first possibility you described was the truth, I did not see your comments, but now I have. I will respond to the original comments. I have more to say about AMT now.

buck