Monday, January 7, 2008

the harlequin resolutionist




It must be global warming, right? no, there is a January thaw every year, but 63 degrees on Jan 7th? Made for a nice day to ride, for sure. 4th work day for 2008 and I've ridden half of them (2/4). The clip on the pedal broke off, the side I always click in and out of at all those stops that punctuate my daily ride. I had to replace the pedal set but the bike shop couldn't get the left pedal off of the crank-- likely a latent causality from the bike-car incident I suffered in September. So, Dan the bike man cleverly replaced the whole crank with an OEM exact match-- except it was in carbon black, not chrome silver. So, the harlequin crank set which nicely matches my harlequin wheel set, one black, one silver-- also from the car incident. It gives that Cannondale a certain character now, in keeping with the fenders and big guy that rides it.

I reset my trip meter today. 540 miles since Apple Century. 3290 total. I had about 1100 year one, so that means 2007 I rolled nearly 2200 miles. My goal for 2008-- double that! I have thought that 5000-500-50 would be a good year of bike-run-swim. Man that's a lot of swimming! If I am going to Tri-again, so be it, I better get my fat butt into the pool.

We had our first Pilates class of the year today. Ugh! oh those cookies and ah that lack of exercise. I am lucky I only gained 3 or 4 pounds in the last month and not more. After Pilates I did ball squats, imaging I was still on the slopes in Colorado, carving my way through the moguls-- a near perfect run down Cat's Meow at Loveland! No doubt the Pilates and the ball squats have given me skiing back after I fractured my knees. But only skiing conditions you for skiing. The first wave of resolutionsits hit the gym today. The same 15 or so folks who are always there, and were last week were there today, along with about 30 new folks. Some quite earnest in their approach to the machines. Some quite confused and shy looking. We are fortunate to have such a great facility here on the west campus but it lacks one huge thing-- spin classes! I have a huge energy barrier traveling across campus to take classes. Not such an issue when I can ride to work-- once again, winter is on the way back, rain then sleet, then snow and much, much colder weather is on its way. those poor folks in California, 7 inches of rain in LA and 11 feet of snow in the Sierras. Oh to be stuck in Tahoe. Talk about skiing! No spin classes need.

No comments: