Friday, September 14, 2007

Blinded by the light, a recipe for disaster

Perhaps it was the angle of sun as it approach the horizon, or maybe I pushed the envelop just a bit too far, but somehow I managed to get run over by a car on my bike. It was surreal, slow motion and certainly could have been avoided, but none the less, as I hovered mid-intersection waiting to turn left, waiting for the oncoming car to clear, the car on my right turned left and ran over me. Holy cats! It happened so quickly, the first thing I knew was that I was laying on the street and his car's front wheel was sitting on my bike's front wheel. He leapt out of the car to ask if I was OK. I stood up and tried to pull my bike up, but it was trapped, crushed under his car. I asked if he could please back up so I could get my bike out, then proceeded to drag it to the side of the road. He pulled around, parked and ran over to talk with me. Another gent ran ride over to see if I was OK. I was OK, not even scraped up, just hit on my knee. Somehow I must have popped out of my peddles. Damage assessment- front rim bent like a banana. No apparent further damage. I was rattled, not exactly sure how I felt, as I stood in the street with my bike leaning against a light pole. Everyone kept asking me if I was OK. I just stood staring in disbelief at my beautiful bike with the bent in half front wheel. "Crap!" was all I could think. The gent who ran me over, understandably, was quite concerned. He kept saying he'd never run any one over before. He offered to drive home and return with his wife's SUV to give me ride home. I was not able to formulate an answer. I thought about walking my bike home-- I was only about 1/2 mile away, but then realized, it wouldn't roll, sure, said, I'll take a ride. He jumped in his car and drove off. He told me his name and address and promised to be right back. I called Karen and told her what happened, and that I was OK. She offered to come get me but I told her to wait. Within a few minutes the driver returned in his same car and explained that his wife was not at home. He attempted to make room in his small sedan for my bike, but his trunk was full and there was no way to easily put the bike in. So I called Karen back to come rescue me. The driver and I chatted and he gave me his contact information and told me to let him know what happened. I didn't think to call the police and guess that is OK, for surely they would've made me ride in an ambulance. We parted ways an Karen drove home. She went inside and I took my bike straight to Dan's bike shop. A quick look and Dan said-- new wheel, fork is OK, that he would lace me up a new one and check the bike out to make sure its OK. I told him I was planning to ride the North Shore Century on Sunday-- he was not sure he had the same wheel in stock but would set me up with something so I could do the ride, while the wheel was on order. I should find out today what the damage is and then will give the driver a call and see if he wants to contribute to the repair. I sense he will. Wow, considering what happened, just having my wheel bent and not getting hurt, I was indeed lucky.

This is how it happened. I was having a tough ride home, alone, nearing the 6 o'clock hour, riding into a head wind, and feeling very tired. I was lamenting the cost to one that marathon training exacts, a cumulative fatigue. A good feeling and it makes for sound sleep, but it takes a lot out of you. I was contemplating not riding today, but then decided, no, I must push on through, ride in at 6:30 and hit the treadmill for a 30 minute run. I just have to make sure I get a good night's sleep. I drank some water and pressed on, and finally made it to Oak Park. As I was nearing the home stretch I approached the intersection of Oak Park Avenue and Harrison from the east, heading into the bright sun on the horizon. There was a line of perhaps a dozen cars queued up at the intersection of this narrow street. As I always do, I passed all the cars on the left to get to the front of the line so I could turn left. A car made a right turn from Oak Park Avenue heading north, so I had to squeeze over to my right, getting close to the westbound cars, waiting at the light. The light turned green, I kept my momentum and just as I got to the front of the line, I entered the intersection adjacent to, and slightly in front of the first car in the line, but then paused for the one oncoming car. The driver to my right did not pause, evidently and ran into me. The El had just come, there were people everywhere, and lots of cars waiting to turn, the sun was right in our eyes, a recipe for disaster. Neither the driver nor I really know what happened. But it did. I know I pushed it a little farther than I should have, passing all those cars on the left and then attempting to turn left with them-- but the driver never saw me. A lesson learned? A cautionary note received? Shouldn't I feel angry? I turned over many thoughts about omens and karma and such, and shouted them down-- it was just a freaking accident and I was lucky I didn't get hurt, and my bike is OK and it won't cost all that much to repair and maybe the driver will help with the cost.... but still, I am a bit unsettled about this. Sore, but not hurt? Damage assessment still underway. I still plan on riding that metric hundred on Sunday. I may find myself even more battered feeling tomorrow. Especially when I go pay Dan for fixing my bike.

No comments: