Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The lure of the road

I am counting down the days until we hit the road for our great western tour. I90 to Sioux Falls, then Rapid City and Mount Rushmore, then onto Fort Robinson, NE for the family reunion in the bad lands. Then Yellowstone! We will be camping at Lake Yellowstone and Ryder and I are really looking forward to fishing and frying up the fresh caught trout. I haven't been to Yellowstone for decades but have profoundly fond memories of our family trips there-- all my trips to Yellowstone were pre-journal, so I lack written records. The memories flood back and make me feel close to my mom, dad and sister Traci. Our popup trailer tent, the bears, the geysers, the camp fire.... memories Ryder will now acquire for his fond remembrances when he is an old fart like me. We will be on the road for 4 days all told, and this is, to me, one of the pleasures of my life. The road goes on forever. The thoughts come and go as the music plays. Adventures with Ryder, but no dogs along this time. I will miss my dogs and cats and garden. Ryder asked me today why I didn't ever get vacation. I said we were going on vacation, but he wants to know why I still go to work even though its summertime. good question! wouldn't it be lovely to just have time to enjoy the summer? in another life.

I weighed in at 216 this morning. On May 15th I was 230. How is this possible? It seems too good to be true. I have >650 miles on the bike and have been avoiding pasta, pizza, pastry and not eating my midnight bowl of cereal, or bun with my burger at lunch. But I have not really gone on a diet diet. Once I start to lose weight I am less hungry and it feeds forward. This is pretty darn fun, I must say.

the yellow tape is gone but the house remains boarded up. The fire last month no longer conspicuous to the passer by. The graduation banners are gone now too. The front steps are filled with people, and much to my surprise I would bet that most of them live in the house they sit in front of. 8 or 10 folks in a 3 bedroom flat. Young girls in their teens pushing baby carriages, their grandmothers my age. 'tis a different world to be sure. Lots of those folks have the summer off-- and the rest of the year too. I've noticed The Preacherman at the park on Harrison and Washtenaw-- he has a shall across his shoulders, holds a bible in his hand and preaches to whom ever happens to be with in earshot. I thought it was interesting seeing him now every day on the way home, the homeless folks at the shelter with a new form of amusement, and he is preaching in shorts. As I ride by the crowd and wave to the group, I hear many of them call to me, and someone always says "Hey Doc!" they too have the summer off.

No comments: