Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sweltering sizzle summertime saddle slump

Hot time, summer in the city, back of my neck getting burnt and gritty.... is that how those lyrics go? Suddenly its summer. Pushing 90 now and it is yet only May. Could be in for a hot one this year-- global warming or this is just a hot year, who knows. Though, of course, it was not hot over the long Memorial Day weekend, the long anticipated pool opening did not happen until mid-day Sunday, and of course we were there. Water was too cold to get in, but the deck was nice and we got our feet wet. The place to be in Oak Park is Rhem pool, and last night afterwork, when I rode my bike straight to the pool from UIC to meet up with Ryder and Karen, it was jamming. Nothing like 88 degrees to bring out the crowd. But the cool rainy weather on Saturday was perfect for running long and run long I did. Saint Stephen and I joined up with the ChiA-Deads at Waterfall Glen and had a great run. The ChiAs did distance varying from 4 to 7 miles, or even one loop, but Steven and I did two loops, 19 miles. And it was tough on this old fat guy, for sure. The last time I ran 19 miles was October 26, 2003 in the Marine Corps Marathon. That would put me somewhere exiting the Mall and heading over the bridge back to Arlington. It was my last marathon. I am still getting ready for number 21. Denver, Oct 14 here I come. Considering its May and I now have a 19 mile run under my belt, this holds great promise for me finishing Denver on my feet. Our run at WFG set the tone. The first loop, counter clockwise, was a breeze. We did the first 3 or so miles with the ChiAs 30 minutes continuous running. Then we got on the program, walked 2 minutes, then ran 8. We continued with this pattern all the way around, finishing the first 9.5 mile loop in 1:50. When we chugged in, we found the ChiAs relaxing and we chatted briefly before they were off. The 2nd loop, which we did clockwise, was a character building experience. We continued 8:2 without difficulty until mile 6 or so, then I really started to struggle, and also experience shooting pain in my right calf. My old trigger point was flaring up on me. Amazing how I could go through catastrophic leg injury, rehabilitate myself and retrain my running poster, only to find the old pain, like an unwelcome phantom, returning. If I circularized my knees it started to go off on me, cramping up, but if I pretended to kick a ball in front of me, the pain vanished and I plodded on. The only problem with the kicking is that it stressed my knee caps, so I could only do it for a few steps at a time. We quickly passed through 3 minutes of walking until I cried UNCLE and we dialed it back to 5:5. Each running interval brought us closer and closer to the finish and just when I started to flag, it was time to walk. This approach enabled me to finish the 19 and not suffer too much. Of course had I needed to run 20 instead, I surely would have died. After we ran and sat cooling off, it began to rain. Perfect timing. I was trashed for the day. I took a nap, much to Ryder's consternation, and then we went for a big shopping adventure-- to COSTCO. woo-hoo. No gardening that day.

There is nothing so sacred as the garden. I sink m spade into the dirt and turn over the earth. The black humus redolent with richness and the promise of a bontiful yield. The old timbers which framed the garden had to go. I spent the rest of the weekend back bent shovel in hand and constructed a new bed, no ready for planting. tomatoes, beans, squash, basil, egg plant (Japenese variety), red peppers, melrose peppers, habeneros, carrots, beets.... the earth awaits. The flower garden in front is growing nicely, the impatients taking off-- named for the impatient gardener. Perinneals filling in, but annuals carry the day-- yes, it is true, I have been accused of being an impatient gardener, yet I persist. shovel man. ditch digger. I am so glad to have my strength. Using the hand mower is a great thing, stretches the hamstrings after a run or long bike ride, makes no noise, uses no gas and cuts the grass just fine-- after three or four passes. My goal is to not use the power mower again this year. I used it the first time I mowed the lawn for the season, but no more! It is so much more contemplative to not hear the lawn mower. But with the neighbors and their power leaf blowers and mowers and trimmers, it is hardly quiet. At least I can hear myself think.

I was so tired yesterday it was all I could do to submit my animal protocol renewal. Today, the discussion on the manuscript and letter of intent for BOR editor in chief. The ride into day with 6 of us was spirited as Cliff pushed the pace. I am still tired, but coming around.

No comments: