Monday, February 9, 2009

teaser

Lady Spring


It is amazing just how warm 32 degrees can feel. That was what the thermometer read this morning at 6:22 as I made my way to Columbus Park to meet my commuting buddies. It was foggy and there were patches of ice here and there, but the warm weather over the weekend did a good job at melting most of the snow pack away. I rode without my neoprene shoe covers and my feet stayed mostly warm, and when I got to work I could still feel my thumbs. Yes sir! On Saturday it was the first really nice day we've had since late November, and we really enjoyed it. Ryder and I walked to the Lincoln school carnival and he was so excited about the warmth of the sun beaming down on us. "too nice of a day to be inside playing the Wii" he declared. The carnival was jammed and throbbing and every single person had a big smile. The beautiful spring-like weather permeated the place, everyone was in a good mood. Even Republicans were smiling. Ryder told me "you know what I call this Dad? Spring!" We agreed to enjoy the lovliness of the day for we know this is only a tease. We have a lot of winter yet to endure, but we have made it through the worst of it. And what a beast its been! A suitable final winter for us in Chicago, the worst one we've had yet. Not as cold as some, and not as much snow as others, but the coldest snowiest and earliest that we can recall. One does blot out the memory of pain.

My heart goes out to the people of Victoria, Australia who are enduing catastrophic fires and ambient temperatures of 47 degrees C which is 117 degrees F. talk about global warming. Yet here in the other hemisphere its been unusually cold. wow. The horror stories of people burning in their cars, trying to flee and getting trapped, then burned as they attempted to drive away-- just awful. Such tragedies really put things into perspective. Angst and worry about stuff we are dealing with pale by comparison. Good luck you Ausies! Please be safe.

No comments: