Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Season's Leaving

"Ice cream! Ice cream!" the mellifluous voiced paper vendor yelled to me as I cut across Kostner navigating between the lined up cars waiting for the light to change at Harrison. Every morning when we ride by, en mass or me alone, he greats us with this special call, thanks to Bob Hakes' old time bike bell. I am sure he means "vanilla" ice cream as he counts "ice cream one, ice cream two, ice cream three..." as our group passes him by. Dappled light and gusty winds swirl the leaves from the trees. Seeing the west side sentinels on my daily ride makes the bike commute special. I am going to miss seeing them as the 4th season takes us off the streets. Bright sun and blue skies, cold crisp pre-dawn rides give way to warm afternoons. Such a glorious time of year! The last week of Day Light Savings time and then, the dark descent to winter gathers speed. Now equipped with a powerful headlight for my bike, and able to draw from my ample wardrobe the darkness and cold should not be a barrier to my 4th season commute. The need to ride, the joy of the revolutions, getting to work and working out at the same time, not spending $$ on gas or CTA fares, not polluting, not sitting in traffic or stuck waiting on the platform-- so many reasons to ride. Yet I face the inevitability of the 4th season, at some point it takes over and we all just hunker down. I am determined, this year to ride as much as a I can, my saddle bags stuffed with all my clothes-- should I leave a coat at work? shoes? gads, much to consider. For now I am in the moment being aware of the beauty of these days. November is just around the corner.

No comments: